Monday, August 15, 2011

Learning New Stuff

Today I was on a crochet site reading how much the addition of diagrams has helped those who crochet and have dyslexia. Dyslexia is defined as a learning disability. This first got me thinking about how lucky those with dyslexia are to have the addition of diagrams to work from. Then, I started to think about if crochet was first presented in ONLY diagrams. I would not be a crocheter! I don't get diagrams, I get the printed pattern. From my understanding, diagrams look to me how the printed word looks to those with dyslexia. So, is my understanding of the printed pattern right and the addition of the stitch diagram, which appears to be added as an after thought, wrong? Actually, I think right and wrong depends on which foot the shoe is on. Or which way we first experience things in life. Maybe the old adage "if at first you don't succeed, try try again" has more meaning than on the surface. If at first we don't succeed, try try another method. Diagrams, maybe...



No comments:

Post a Comment